Advancement ServicesJune, 2008
What is Advancement Services?What is a charitable donation?Donor Bill of RightsWhy do I need to send charitable donations to
Advancement Services?Example of IRS Tax Receipt and
AcknowledgementCorporate SponsorshipsThings to Keep in MindHow to contact Advancement Services
What is Advancement Services?
Advancement Services department supports the fundraising and alumni relations departments of Case Western Reserve University. This is accomplished by providing high quality technology and information management services for advancement professionals in the schools and in central University Relations and Development, including:
Gift & Biographical Data AdministrationFinancial Reporting & Data AnalysisCentral FilesAdvancement Systems, Technical Services
& TrainingProspect ResearchProspect Management & Tracking
What is Advancement Services?
Responsible for receipting and
recording all charitable donations
Responsible for producing the Official University Tax Receipt
Responsible for Tracking Pledge
Insure Donor Intent is followed
Responsible for the maintenance of all
Record current address information for all alumni
and friends – 31,000 changes on avg. per year
Record valid phone numbers for alumni
Record valid email addresses for alumni
and friends (48% valid)
Responsible for the official internal and
external private support and attainment reports
Responsible for the submission of the Annual
Voluntary Support of Education Report (CAE)
Produce monthly reports for the Board of Trustees by School on fundraising
Produce Honor Rolls of Donors for
What is Advancement Services?
Responsible for Maintaining all Incoming and Outgoing
Documents related to Prospects and Donors
Responsible for maintaining hard copy
records that have legal, historical and administrative value
Responsible for distribution of
Central Files to requestors
Provides Technical Support to the office of
University Relations and Development
Provides Training on the Wizard
Provides Report Production for UR&D
(26,800 reports in 2007)
Provides technical support for Wizard, SCC, Alumni Giving/Directory website
Responsible for the tracking and maintenance
of records relating to prospects of CWRU
Provide in-depth research on major prospects of the
Analyze Data mining results and recommend strategy for cultivation of
Develop Portfolios for Development Officers
and track performance
Prospect Research &
What is a Charitable Donation?
A contribution received by an institution for either unrestricted or restricted use in the furtherance of the institution for which the institution has made no commitment of resources or services other than possibly committing to use the gift as the donor specifies. Charitable grants typically come from a corporation, foundation, or other organization rather than from an individual.
SOURCE: CASE Management Reporting Standards, page. 24
Donor Bill of Rights
Why do I need to send charitable donations to Advancement Services?
1. We use CASE* Management Reporting Standards as guideline for gift entry, so all data is consistent with other American university gift processing standards. This information is used to rank us against our Peer Institutions.
2. We are audited every year by the CWRU Internal Audit staff and the University’s external auditor to insure donor intent has been followed
3. Gifts Processing generates the official University tax receipt for donors to use when proving charitable donations to the IRS
4. Gifts Processing tracks pledges and subsequent payments to the University, and generates the official University pledge reminders for donors
5. The data tracked by the Gifts Processing unit enables the University’s Donor Relations Office to properly thank and steward donors to CWRU
6. Gifts and pledges are processed daily. The gift processing update program is run nightly and updates the University Financial Management System.
7. Advancement Services produces the official University attainment reports for internal and external use from data entered in the Wizard system. For example, these reports are used by the President, the Board of Trustees, and U.S. News and World Reports, among a host of other users
8. Advancement Services produces the official Honor Roll of Donors for the schools and the university as a whole. Donors expect to be listed in these publications
*CASE: Council for Advancement and Support of Education
Sample of University Tax Receipt and Acknowledgement
123 Main StreetCleveland, Ohio 44106
Corporate sponsorships are becoming more common
Corporations and other organizations often give money to institutions to sponsor activities or events, and in return, receive recognition or other benefits.
The determining factor of whether corporate sponsorship donations are fully charitable is whether the recognition received constitutes advertising or whether the donor receives other substantial benefits as a result of the sponsorship, i.e. dinner tickets
Corporate Sponsorships, con’t
There are many factors to consider when determining the portion of the sponsorship that may be charitable, such as:
the sponsorship should not be contingent on event attendance, ratings, or public exposure
there should be no qualitative advertising of the sponsor’s products or services
Please work with Advancement Services PRIOR to any event that seeks Corporate Sponsorships. We will help determine the charitable amount of the corporate sponsorship based upon any quid pro quo factors that may exist.
Things to Keep in Mind
Advancement Services will work with individual departments to insure donor needs are met.
For example, if a donor does not wish to be contacted by the University for future donations, we can code that individual so that they are not solicited
The University is gearing up for a Campaign. Donors will expect their gifts to be counted in Campaign totals.
They will expect to be listed in the official Campaign Honor Roll of Donors produced by Advancement Services
Advancement Services supports the President. Before she travels, we produce briefings for her on the people she
will visit. These briefings require the utmost accuracy and must include a summary of ALL donations received by the University