- 1. Keiros Womens Wellness Conference October 9, 2010 David De Candia Director of Tea International Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf
2. What We Are Going to Cover
- Judging the quality of tea
- The best way to brew your tea
- Mindfulness and spiritual health
3. The History and Origin of Tea
- Tea began as a medicine and grew into a
- In China in the eighth century it entered
- The fifteenth century saw Japan take tea
- Year 879 was the earliest record of tea .
- Marco Polo records tea taxes in 1285.
- 1700s tea finds its way as a morning tea.
- Tea plant native to Southern China.
- Two types of leaves: China & Assamica
4. Customs and Beliefs:Spirituality of Tea
- Luwuh, a poet, saw in the tea service
- harmony which reigned through all
- Tea-equipage; the blue cup was ideal
- as it added to the greenness of the beverage
- Heavy bowls used for powdered tea
- White porcelain used for leafy teas
- The connection of Zennism with tea
5. Iron Buddha Tea Ceremony 6. Tea Set Ceremony 7. Library Opening Ceremony 8. China species 9. Judging the Quality of Tea
- The judging of the quality of tea has little
- to do with preference but with making sure
- that it meets all the necessary criteria.
- The criteria is a sensory evaluation of taste,
- visual and aroma of the infused and dry leaf.
- Checking for defects such as over firing or
- lacking brightness and flavors necessary for
- Consistency is the main aspect from season to
10. Camellia Sinensis 11. Tea PluckerBogawantalawa 12. Tea Fields in Taiwan 13. Chai 14. Oolong 15. The Best Way to Brew
- Use cool filtered water, not distilled water
- One level teaspoon of tea to a 8 ounce of
- Do not use water that has already been
- Previously heated water has lost its necessary
- minerals for flavors decreasing the quality of the
- cup of tea that is 97% water.
- Temperature is very important!
16. Tea Cupping 17. Cupping Darjeeling 18. English Breakfast Blend
- Place -Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Darjeeling India.
- Profile- Medium body, Sweet flavor peach like with a slight astringency at its finish. Floral aroma mixed with chocolate.
- People - The Bogawantalawa Estate workers in Sri Lanka take enormous pride in their tea.
- Process-The Ceylon (Morning dew pluck) Darjeeling an exclusive blend. Both OP leaves.
- Pairings-Dining(Fish, Chicken) Cuppings(White peach). Great as a marinade for barbecues.
- Place-100 % Produced in Japan. Green tea grown in Shizuoka and the brown rice produced in Tohoku region.
- Profile-Its flavor is mild and agreeable and combines the fresh grassy flavor of sencha green tea and the aroma ofthe roasted rice.
- People-Shizuoka is the most famous green tea producing region in Japan. Workers take great pride in this product.
- Process-Plucking, Steaming, Rolling, Drying, Shifting, Selecting, Firing, Blending.
- Pairings-Best drank hot. Great with Chinese or Japanese food. After meal is the best!
20. How to Incorporate Tea Into Savory and Sweet Dishes
- All types of tea infuse in water at the
- Herbs and spices also infuse in water
- and can be used as a marinade or salad
- The dry leaf and herbs can be used as a
- dry rub for meats and poultry.
- Tea is very visually appealing and can
- also provide your recipe with texture
21. Tea Eggs with Mushrooms 22. Chicken with Oolong tea 23. CBTL Apricot Ceylon Tea Chicken Confit
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 Tablespoons Apricot Ceylon tea leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Rub chicken legs with 1 tablespoon salt, and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Add tea leaves. Refrigerate covered, turning chicken occasionally, for 10 to 12 hours, depending on how strong a salt cure is desired.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Rinse chicken under cool running water, and pat dry. In a skillet over medium heat, place chicken skin side down; cook until fat renders and skin browns, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer meat and reduced fat to a small casserole, placing chicken skin side up in one layer. Add enough olive oil to cover. Cover casserole with a lid, and place it in the oven. Cook until chicken has rendered all of its fat and the meat is falling from the bone, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
24. How Buying Tea Helps at the Origin
- At the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, we have
- built a day care center, community center,
- and library at the Bogawantlawa Tea
- Estate in Sri Lanka, starting in 2003.
- AidLankakids.org is a non-profit
- organization that helps orphaned girls
- Mukengeria Nursery school (2008)
25. Nantou Ren-Als Children's Home, Taiwan 26. L.P.G. Distribution Program Shree Dwarika, Darjeeling, India 27. CCC Cancer Hospital in Sri Lanka 28. Aidlankskids.org , Sri Lanka