2. // COUNTRIES INVOLVED IN THE GLOBAL HAPPINESS STUDY STUDY in 16 COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE 4.056 consumers (15 25 y.o.), representative total country population. Data collected on proprietary research panels from InSites Consulting. To benchmark results we refer to the average cross studied countries which cannot be seen as a representative global figure. Results for brands are filtered on awareness Respondents had to know the brand at least reasonably well.
3. IN THIS INTERNATIONAL STUDY WEVEFOCUSSED ON HAPPINESSIn this report youll find out everything youneed to know about what Happiness meansfor Generation Y.In the coming months well focus on other GenY related topics separately. So follow us onTwitter, read the updates on our website andwatch our SlideShare for new presentations.Saw some cool stuff you want to discuss?Contact us! Joeri.firstname.lastname@example.orgBut above all, start listening to Generation Y!
4. THIS REPORT SHARES THE DETAILED RESULTSFOR- United States - Italy- United Kingdom- India- The Netherlands - Germany- Sweden- France- Spain - Denmark- Russia- China- Romania - Brazil- Poland- Belgium
6. Gen Y, a.k.a. the millennial generation, boys andgirls between 15-30, is increasingly entering thejob market. Since they are globally a biggercohort than their predecessors (Gen X), theirinfluence on society, politics and business thenext decades will be higher and comparable tothe influential Babyboomer generation.But this new active generation feels that they arenot taken serious at this point. Not only bypoliticians and the government but also bycorporations and brands.
7. // Hot takeawaysThe majority of Yers in the world are feeling happy.Around the globe at least more than half of Millennialsare expressing they feel happy. Especially Dutch (65%),Swedish (66%), Brazilian (69%), Chinese (66%) andIndian (68%) Millennials are the most happy youthgroups. A relatively larger amount of UK youth (almost 1out of 5) is feeling unhappy. Together with Italian andFrench Gen Yers, they are the most unhappy nations.To most Gen Yers around the world holidays, having sexand being challenged and achieving something are thetop 3 sources of happiness. Connecting with friends &family and listening to music are also frequentlymentioned. Graduating, getting a drivers license,meeting the love of your life are all remarkable momentsin youths life leading to happiness. Divorcing parents,diseases and broken relationships make them sad.For many Millennials cool brands know how to tap intothe emotion of happiness. Especially Coca-Cola andtechnology brands like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung andNintendo are connecting with this generations emotionalmindset.
9. // BE AWARE OF THE BORING STUFF ON THIS SLIDE Methodology Online survey Recruiting via InSites Research Community(www.talktochange.com) Sample Size N = 251 respondents Screening: 15 25 years old Quota representative on region, gender, age QuestionnaireGenderMale50%Female50% Survey of 20 minutes15-18 38% Age19-21 27%22-25 35%Im still studying54%No job, not looking for one4%No job, looking for on13% Professional Job, < 1 year working experience 9%Situation Job, 1 year working experience 6%Job, 2 years working experience5%Job, 3 years working experience2%Job, > 3 years working experience8%Single, no kids 80%Single, kids 3%Private situationPartner, no kids11%Partner, kids6%
10. // HAPPY PEOPLEQ: I consider myself to be a happy person.100%75%50%25% 57% of the American Yrsconsiders themselves tobe a happy person. USAAverage cross studied countriesN = 251 / F = No / / % represent the amount of people that (completely) agrees with this statement
11. // WHEN SHOULD YOU ENCOUNTER A MILLENNIALQ: Throughout a day, a week, a year, peoples feeling of happiness can vary. First we would like you to think about your happiness throughout a day. Q: Now we would like you to think aboutyour happiness throughout a week. Q: And how happy are you in each of these months? The extent to which American Yers feel happy clearly differs from time to time. As a brand you want to be in touch with the Millennials in the evening between 20:00 and 22:00, preferablyon a MidsummerSaturday. Day Week Year 1009080706050403020Monday Wednesday Tuesday Thursday NovemberFridayApril OctoberAugustJuneSunday January September SaturdayMarchDecember February July 12:00 14:0018:00 20:0024:00 02:00May 06:00 08:00 08:00 10:00 10:00 12:00 14:00 16:00 16:00 18:0020:00 22:0022:00 24:0002:00 04:0004:00 06:00USAAVERAGEN = 251 / F = No
12. // MAXIMIZE THEIR HAPPINESSQ: How happy are you in each of these situations and places? happiness is maximized listening to good music and when being challenged andGen Yerssucceed in something. Millennials can be theirselves when being surrounded by their family and friends, and thisreflects in a happy feeling as well. Their happiness is least maximised when being at work, at the hairdresser or at a wellness centre-010 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 When Im enjoying good music74When Im challenged and succeed in achieving something73 When Im with friends/family71When Ive learned to master a new skill71When Im having sex70When Im on holiday70When Im in bed70 When Im enjoying good food/drink 69When Im at the beach / sea-side 67 When Im home 62When Im in a natural environment (e.g. a forest) 61 When Im looking at beautiful buildings, pieces of art, etc.60 When Im shopping 59 When Im in the mountains 55When Im sporting51 When Im at work44When Im at the hairdresser43 When Im in a wellness centre 4270%N = 251 / F = No USAAverage cross studied countries0%
13. // I WILL NEVER FORGET THE DAY (1/2)Q: Throughout our life we experience moments we will never forget because they arouse us (). We are very interested in the most emotional moments of your life. You can specify up to 3moments. Could you also indicate what kind of emotion that lays underneath that moment? N = 181 / F = If 1st moment1 out of 4American Yers has never80%experienced an unforgettable 60%momentin their life! 50% of the40%Millennials has already experienced 2 daystheyll never forget. In case Yers have20%experienced 3 unforgettable moments,0%chances become high that they mention at55%11% 11%6%14%4%least 1 moment of sadness or disgust. N = 125 / F = If 2nd moment 80% 60% 40% 22% 20% 12%0%40%18% 18%8%14%2%28%N = 96 / F = If 3rd moment 80% 38% 60% 40% 20% No moments 1 moment0% 2 moments3 moments 32%17%9%9%23%9%N = 251 / F = No United StatesAVERAGE
14. // I WILL NEVER FORGET THE DAY (2/2)Q: Throughout our life we experience moments we will never forget because they arouse us (). We are very interested in the most emotional moments of your life. You can specify up to 3moments. Could you also indicate what kind of emotion that lays underneath that moment?Extreme experience (e.g.When I was Skydiving, mount climbing)dumped by myGraduated partnerMeeting the love of my life Becoming a Surprise sport championDead of a person N = 58close to meHappiness Anger My first kissN = 180 N = 29 Getting married Got my drivinglicenseGot in a fight Fear Disgust New school N = 50 N = 19Watching 9/11Sadness on televisionAlmost lost my N = 66 job EncounteredWas diagnosedDiscovered myaggressionParents got with a serious partner cheated divorced illness on meN represents the number of moments mentioned across respondentsBased on a qualitative interpretation, these unforgetable moments were defined because they were mentioned by a substantial part of the sample that encountered that specific emotion.
15. // BRAND EMOTIONALITYQ: Below you find a list of brands / products. Could you please indicate which of the following emotions you feel when thinking of the brand and its products? Brands can definitely arouse Gen Yers. Feelings of disgust, surprise and especially happiness areevoked when thinking of brands. Brands like M&Ms and iPhone which score high on other CRUSH values as well, can surprise youngsters and make them happy.ZaraHP 80%DieselCoca-Cola S. Ericsson M&MsRed Bull Coca-ColaDell Apple Axe / Lynx80%MicrosoftDove60%Axe / LynxNokia SonyS. Ericsson60%Nintendo DoritosRed Bull40% ZaraDoritosA&F C. Allstars 40%A&F AppleSony 20%iPhoneDiesel 20%H&MPepsi0% MarsMcDonalds 0%DoveLevis AdidasT. Hilfiger LevisMcDonaldsT. Hilfiger Mars Nivea NintendoH&MiPhone PumaNokiaPumaGiletteHPMicrosoftLOrealC. AllstarsDellSamsungNike M&Ms GilettePepsiAdidasNiveaLOreal SamsungNike USA AVERAGEN = 251 / F = No
16. // Hot takeaways57% of American Yers consider themselves to be ahappy person. The extent to which American Yers feelhappy clearly differs from time to time. As a brand youwant to be in touch with the Millennials in the eveningbetween 20:00 and 22:00, preferably on a MidsummerSaturday. Their happiness is maximized when enjoyinggood music, when being challenged and havingachieved something or when on a holiday.Spontaneously, these American Yers refer to meeting thelove of their life (with all the ins and outs) and graduatingas one of the happiest moments of their lives!
18. // BE AWARE OF THE BORING STUFF ON THIS SLIDE Methodology Online survey Recruiting via InSites Research Community(www.talktochange.com) Sample Size N = 249 respondents Screening: 15 25 years old Quota representative on region, gender, ageMale51%Gender QuestionnaireFemale49% Survey of 20 minutes Age15-1819-2137%27%22-25 36%Im still studying53%No job, not looking for one3%No job, looking for on10% Professional Job, < 1 year working experience11%Situation Job, 1 year working experience 6%Job, 2 years working experience4%Job, 3 years working experience3%Job, > 3 years working experience9%Single, no kids 76%Single, kids 4%Private situationPartner, no kids15%Partner, kids5%