Ref. No. EMILIGEOL/3 ~ 12017-18 Date-07.09.2017
The Member Secretary,State Poffution Control Board, OdishaDepartment of Forests 8: Environment,Govt. of Odisha, Paribesh Bhawan,Al118, Nilakantha Nagar, Unit-VIIIBhubaneswa~751012
Sub: Submission of Environmental Statement in respect of Jilting Langalota Iron 8:Manganese Mines of Essel Mining 8: Industries Limited, Barbil for the year 2016-17.
Please find enclosed herewith the environmental statement report duly filled-in Forrn-V
as prescribed under the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986 for the financial year 2016-
17 in respect of Jilling Langalota Iron 8: Manganese Mines.
Yours Faithfully,'For ESSELMINING 8: INDUSTRIESLTD.
Dr. Khageswar MahantaVice President
Cc: The Regional Officer, State Pollution Control Board, College Road, KeonjharThe Director, Govt. of India, Ministry of Env. 8: Forests, Eastern Regional Office, A/3,Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneswar-751023 (email-roez. [email protected] in)
End: As above.
Essel Mining ft Industries Ltd.P.O. Barbil, Dist. Keonjhar,Odisha 758035, India
Telephone +91 6767275224,275422,276553Fax +91 6767275367CIN U51109WB1950PLC018728
Regd. Office: Industry House, 18 Floor, 10 Camac Street, Kol' a-
FORM-V(See rule 14)
Environmental Statement for the financial year ending with 31st March 2017
....••1. Name and address of the owner/ occupier
of the industry, operation or process
Jilling Langalota Iron & Manganese MinesEsselMining & Industries LimitedAt: Jilling, PO: Jajang, Dist: KeonjharOdisha -758034
2. Industry category Primary- (STC Code)Secondary- (STC Code)
3. Production capacity
4. Year of establishment
5. Date of the last environmental statementsubmitted
Open Cast Iron Ore Mines (Large Scale)
6.28 Million Tonne Per Annum
Water and Raw Material Consumption:
(i) Water consumption (ml/d)
1. Process2. Cooling3. Domestic
: 16 (Including water sprinkling & green belt): Nil: 665 (drinking within & outside the lease)
Name of the product(s) Process water consumption per unit of products
During the previous financial During the current financialyear (2015-16) year (2016-17)
This is an open cast iron ore mines producing sized ore and fines. Water is required only fordust suppression at cas plant by the dry fog system & water sprinkling over the haulageroads within the mines. Water sprinkling is also done over the transportation road outside thelease area. However, the mining operation & allied activities are could not be undertakenduring this current financial year due to temporary disconti nuance on account ofadministrative ground since, January, 2014.
(ii) Raw material consumption
Name of Raw Name of Consumption of raw material per unit of outputMaterial Products During the previous financial During the current financial
year (2015-16) year (2016-17)This is an open cast iron ore mines. After blasting in the pits, RoM (Run off mine) is fed toScreening & Crushing unit to produce sized are of 10-30 mm, 5-18 mm and -5 mm sized ironores. Whatever material is fed for processing, same comes out as output of different sizefractions. However, the mining operation is temporarily discontinued on account ofadministrative ground since January, 2014.
* Industry may use codes if disclosing details of raw material would violate contractualobligations, otherwise all industries have to name the raw materials used.
PART-CPollution discharged to environment/unit of output
(Parameters as specified in the consent issued)
Pollutants Quantity of pollution Concentrations of Percentage of variation fromdischarged (mass/day) pollutants in prescribed standards with
As the industry is operated on dry process technology, no liquid effluent isgenerated from the screening & crushing process. However, the waste watergenerated during the maintenance of vehicles a HEMMs in the workshoppremises are treated through Oil Grease Water separation tank through gravity
Water & oil immiscibility methods. Clean water is discharged out side for plantationuse after conformity with the CPCB standards.Domestic waste water generated from residential colony and office toilets istreated in Sewage Treatment Plant and treated water is used for plantation &gardening. The summarised report for the year 2016-17 is depicted below.
UPSTREAM DOWN STREAMWATER STANDARD
(GSR 422E)Min Max Min Max Min Max
pH 5.82 6.56 5.67 6.94 6.67 7.25 5.5-9.0TSS,mg/l
(Hazardous Wastes)[As specified under Hazardous Wastes (Management and Handling) rules, 1989]
Hazardous waste During the previous During the current financial.financial year (2015-16) year (2016-17)
(a) From process3.57 KL O.525KL- Used Oil
- Waste Containing Oil 0.11 MT 0.0305 MT(b) From pollution control facilities Nil Nil
Total QuantitySources During the previous During the current financia
financial year (2015-16) year (2016-17)
(a) From process (Overburden) Nil Nil
(b) From pollution control facility Nil
(c) Quantity recycled or Re- utilized Nil
Please specify the characteristics (in terms of composition of quantum) of Hazardous as wellas solid wastes and indicate disposal practice adopted for both these categories of wastes.
Hazardous Waste: (Used Oil & Waste Containing Oil)
Iron ore screening & crushing is operating in "Dry Process". No Hazardous waste is generatedfrom the process except used oil which is drained from Machineries I Equipments. It is used forlubrication. Burnt oil are stored in barrel and kept over an impervious floor under shed in ademarcated area till its disposal to authorized recycler.
Central Workshop is located within the lease area for periodical! regular maintenance ofvehicles & HEMMsbeing used for the mining operation & allied activities. Wastes containing oilor cotton waste are being disposed to an earmarked impervious pit.
During this period an amount of 1.47 KL of used oil has been sold out to authorized recyclerIreprocessor Mis. Raj Lubricants, Januganj, Balasore-19. Waste containing oil 0.0305 MT(Cotton wastes, all filters are disposed to the impervious pit made within the hazardous wasteyard. An amount of 0.315 KL of used/waste oils stored in sealed barrel in the waste yard.
Impact of pollution abatement measures taken on conservation of natural resources and onthe cost of production.
1. ETP is operational for the treatment workshop effluents. Similarly STP installed withinthe colony is being used for treatment of domestic sewage. Thus the treated water isused for gardening & floor washing.
2. Plantation over the waste dumps is undertaken to stabilize it.3. Rs. 23.67 lakhs was spent towards nursery development & .afforestation activities within
the lease area. Rs. 69.72 lakhs incurred for environmental parameters monitoring as perthe SPCB/CPCB/MoEF&CC guidelines.
Additional measures/investment proposal for environmental protection including abatementof pollution, prevention of pollution.
4. The Mine management celebrates and participates in Mine Environment & MineralConservation Week, Mines Safety Week & World Environment Day every year.
5. Installation of water flow meters at various water drawal points helps us on economicaluse of water.
6. Implementation of Rain Water Harvesting Structures & Artificial Recharge Structures inand around of lease hold area for conservation & improvement of ground waterpotentiality.
7. Greenery development at Mines and Screening & Crushing Unit by planting trees ofmixed variety.
8. Waste dumps are stabilized through plantation.9. Development of more green belt in & around of operational activities and nearby
villages.10. The mine has already been certified to ISO-14001 (Environment Management System),
ISO-9001 (Quality Management System), OHSAS-18001 (Occupational Health and SafetyAssessment Series), and maintaining the systems satisfactorily.
11. Top priority for WCM (World Class Manufacturing) activities for improvement in Safety,Environment, production, quality and sustainable development.
12. During the year 2016-17 an amount of Rs. 42.78 lakhs was spent towards environmentalmonitoring & management.
13. 20080 nos. saplings were planted within the leasehold area during the year 2016-17.
Any other particulars for improving the quality of the environment
1. We have full-fledged Environment Department for monitoring, maintenance of pollutioncontrol equipment and for green belt development.
2. Monitoring of ambient air quality, noise, soil, DG stack emission and water quality isbeing done regularly.
3. Maintenance department is doing regular checking and scheduled maintenance of all thepollution control devices and equipments 8: HEMMs.
4. Administration dept is taking care of House keeping and Civil department is taking careof operation of STPunder the guidance of Geology department.
5. Geology 8: Horticulture Department is taking care of tree plantation and green beltdevelopment.
6. Fruit bearing saplings are also distributed free of cost to the nearby villagers.7. UBE (Unit Business Excellence) is used as a tool for better house keeping, good
maintenance practice and assist in control of pollution.
Dr. Khageswar MahantaVice President (Geology)
Click here to load reader