presentation of how to establish and maintain your online teaching presence
1. Agenda1. Explore challenges of transitions2. Teaching Presence3. COI Model4. Presence Rubric5. Development of examples of strategies6. New strategies of how to improve your online presence
2. Transitional Issues for Faculty1. Online Presence 6. Quality Assurance2. Changing Dynamic 7. Accessibility3. Time Management 8. Legalities4. Learner 9. Team Processes Characteristics 10. Systems5. Technology Complexity Interface
3. Transitional Issues for Faculty1. Teaching 6. Quality Presence Assurance2. Changing 7. Accessibility 1. Online Presence Dynamic 8. Legalities3. Time Management 9. Team Processes4. Learner 10. Systems Characteristics Complexity5. Technology
4. Why Online Presence matters to the online learner?1. Sense of isolation2. The primary link3. Someone in control4. Desire to interact with an expert
5. Community of Inquiry (COI) Social TeachingPresence Presence Cognitive Presence Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2000).
6. Social and Cognitive Social presence is the ability of participants to identify with the community (e.g., course of study), communicate purposefully in a trusting environment, and develop inter-personal relationships by way of projecting their individual personalities. (Garrison, 2009) Cognitive Presence is the extent to which learners are able to construct and confirm meaning through sustained reflection and discourse (Garrison, Anderson, & Archer, 2001).
7. Community of Inquiry Social TeachingPresence Presence Cognitive Presence Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2000).
8. COI Definition of Teaching PresenceTeaching Presence is the design, facilitation, and direction of cognitive and social processes for the purpose of realizing personally meaningful and educationally worthwhile learning outcomes.
9. Three COI Components Instructional design and organization planning, design, structure, interaction, and evaluation e.g., lecture notes, developing audio/video min-lectures, providing personal insights into course material, providing a good mix of individual and group activities, providing guidelines on how to use the learning medium effectively Facilitating discourse (building understanding) ensuring students are engaged, requires instructor to comment, raise questions, and make observations to move discussion and keep it moving, draw out inactive students, limit the activity of dominating posters if they are detrimental to the learning of the group Direct instruction providing intellectual/scholarly leadership through sharing subject matter knowledge & expertise, presenting content, using various means of assessment and explanatory feedback facilitator roles is that of content expert who is the knowledge disseminator to interaction facilitator. Refer to: Community of Inquiry Framework doc
10. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesignDelivery
11. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesign Establishing your onlineDelivery personality
12. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesign The process of teaching guiding, facilitating, directingDelivery learning
13. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesign Student-student, student-instructor interactionsDelivery Outside of the content domain
14. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesign Methods & techniquesDelivery than can be done during course construction
15. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesign Methods & techniquesDelivery than can be done during course delivery
16. Online Presence Rubric Persona Instructional SocialDesignDelivery
17. Establishing Persona Attribute Technique Begin class with introductory statements Provide clear teaching Establish format via syllabus personality/character Provide transition guidance Establish your leadership in the online class Post relevant/current contentrequire as Know your students student activity
18. Persona Models
19. Live ExamplesEliza Richardson: Earth 520Gerry Santoro: IST 250Aileen Wang: Art History
20. Table Top Assignment1. Reflect on your online course.2. Record a presence strategy that you currently use and record it in a quadrant.3. Denote a quadrant for desired improvement.4. Discuss in small teams (2-3) a strategy to address your area of desired improvement.5. Record on sticky pad and paste near appropriate large pad.