Oral TraditionsOral Traditions
1. FolktalesStories told from one generation to Stories told from one generation to
Purpose was to Purpose was to entertain and teach entertain and teach thethe values of the culturevalues of the culture
Served to inspire the ordinary personServed to inspire the ordinary person
Heroes, romance, adventure, magicHeroes, romance, adventure, magic
*Folk Tales often begin with “Once upon a time”, “Long, long ago”, etc.
• Groups of 3 - 3 characters, 3 tasks, and 3 events
• Folk Tales have good and bad characters. • Everyday people and/or animals
• Phrases are repeated –
For example: “Mirror, mirror, on the wall…”“Little pig, little pig, let me come in….”
• Folk Tales have happy endings.
• The good characters in Folk Tales have a problem to solve.
Some examples of Folktales?
2. Fables Very short story. Animal characters. They have a lesson or moral.
3.3. Mythology (Myths)
*A tale that explains the actions of the gods or heroes
*They may explain natural phenomena in our world.
Some examples of mythsSome examples of myths
4. Legends*Stories based on fact, but the people do things they couldn’t do in real life.
*Every culture has its own legends.