Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. Phil. 4:6
Do not worry about anything Montgomery N.T.
Have no anxiety about anything McCords translation
One worrier said to the other,
I have so many troubles that if anything happened to me today, it would be two weeks before I can get around to worrying about it
I. Different Kinds of Worry1.Things that have already happened Phil. 3:13 - forget things behind
2. Things that will inevitably happen Heb. 9:27 death [old age]
3. Things that will never happen
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-34Unnecessary Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of these things. v. 32
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-342) Cruel v. 26Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-343) Prohibited v. 34Do not worry about your life v. 25Therefore do not worry, v. 31Therefore do not worry about tomorrow... v. 34
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-344) Useless v. 27Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?Mark 16:3-4
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-345) Heathenish v. 32For after all these things do the Gentiles seek Worry is a characteristicof the heathen, the lost
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-346) Faithlessness v. 30O you of little faith Matt. 6:30 = WorryMatt. 8:26 = FearMatt. 14:31= DoubtMatt. 16:8 = Human reasoning
II. Remedy for OvercomingWorry Matt. 6:24-347) The Solution v. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. S + R = Added
III. Why is Worry a Sin ?1) Disregard for Commandments of GodBe anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6-7
2) It is a Waste of Time40% never happen
30% past that cannot be changed
22% petty things
8% legitimateIII. Why is Worry a Sin ?
3) It Impairs our Health- Can worry yourself sick- Can worry yourself to deathFatigue Asthma
High Blood PressureIII. Why is Worry a Sin ?
4) It robs us of joy and happiness- Worry = means to strangle
- Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice Phil. 4:4III. Why is Worry a Sin ?
5) Prohibits prayers to be answered We must ask in faith Jas. 1:6
Worry is distrust in GodMan prayed to God for protectionthroughout the night. Stayed up allnight to see if He would do itIII. Why is Worry a Sin ?
IV. How can we Overcome Worry?Make up your mind you are going to conquer it.
2) Form the right relationship with God and man
3) Develop the Right attitude of mind
4) Do what you can and turn the rest over to God
5) Live one day at a Time
6) Cultivate a faith and realistic trust in God and His promisesIV. How can we Overcome Worry?
Faith is the great antidote to worry
I believe God that it shall be even as it was told me. Acts 27:25
God will always keep His word !IV. How can we Overcome Worry?
7) Engage in purposeful work
8) Transfer your care to more worthy objects
9) Live your life free from a sense of guilt and shame
10) Take it to the Lord in PrayerIV. How can we Overcome Worry?
V. Read and Study your BibleFear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; thou art mine Isa. 43:1
There are 365 Fear nots in the Bible, one for every day in the year.
How dare we then fear !
If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you Jn. 15:7
Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. Jn. 14:1
V. Read and Study your Bible
Give Jesus First Place in your LifeBut seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matt. 6:33
Worrying may be a sign that something else besides God is first place in your life
Put God FirstLive one day at a timeTrust GodPray Dont Panic !
I am inwardly fashioned for faith, not for fear.
Fear is not my native land; faith is...
In Christ = SAVEDBaptized (Gal.3:27)Confess (Rom.10:10)Hear (Rom.10:17)Believe (Jn.8:24)Repent (Lk.13:3)
1. Phil. 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to Godc. Do not worry about anything Montgomery N.T.d. Have no anxiety about anything McCords translation2. Indeed, many are worried and troubled about many things.a. If we do not have a job, we worry about that. - If we have a job we worry about losingit.b. If we do not have any money we worry about that. - If we have money we worry about where it all goes.c. If we do not have a car we worry about that. - If we have a car we worry about itbreaking down.d. If we are sick we worry about that. - If we are well, we worry about getting sick. Ifwe feel a flutter of the heart or a pain in the abdomen we are convinced that we have heart trouble or ulcers or cancer.1. One worrier said to the other, I have so many troubles that if anything happened tome today, it would be two weeks before I can get around to worrying about it.2. Now, life cannot be lived free from all sense of concern.a. For example: Being concerned about not having a wreck will cause us to practice rulesof safety.b. Concern over becoming sick will cause us to practice rules of good health.c. Concern about the proper provisions for old age will cause us to practice rules of good fiscal responsibility with our money.d. Concern for our soul will cause of to seek truth and to live it.3. However, the problem is this: it is easy to let our concerns become cares, and ourforethoughts become fear-thoughts. When this happens, the sin of worry results. - We become worry Warts.4. Let us see what the Bible says about how to overcome worry.I. THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF WORRYA. People worry about things that have already happened.1. But there is no use crying over spilled milk.2. Worrying about the past is like trying to put the tooth paste back in the tube.3. Past deeds cannot be undone.a. Past words cannot be unsaid.b. If the past involves sin, do what you are supposed to do as a Christian to beassured God will forgive. Repent, confess and pray to God. (1) Don't forget to forgive yourself.(2) Loyd George, former Prime Minister of England, once said, I have made ita practice of my to life always to close the gates behind me.c. Nobody has had a worst past than the apostle Paul. Notice what he said about his past in Phil. 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are aheadB. People worry about things that will inevitably happen.1. Some parents worry about their children growing up and leaving the home; but if they are normal, we know that will eventually happen2. Some people worry about dying; but, they will die (Heb. 9:27), it is inevitable, sowhy worry.3. Some worry about growing old, but grow old they must.C. People worry about things that will never happen.1. Mark Twain said, I have worried over a great many things in life, the most of which never happened.2. What is the use worrying about something that only has a slight chance of happening.a. We could worry all our life about the possibility of an atomic war, make our self sick, and it never happen...b. So what does Jesus say about worrying, and what remedy does He give us?II. Matt. 6:24-34 IS THE LORD'S REMEDY FOR OVERCOMING WORRY FROM THIS WE LEARN THAT WORRY IS:A. Unnecessary - Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of these things (verse 32).1. We are children of an omniscient heavenly Father who knows everything and is sensitive to our every need.2. Knowing this, why worry?3. None of us were born as worriers.a. We had to learn to worry.b. We developed the habit of worrying.c. If we learned to worry then we can also unlearn to worry.4. Worry is unnecessary because God knows exactly what we need.B. Cruel v. 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Jesus really puts our worry in perspective here1. The idea that God would take care of the lilies of the field and the birds of the airand not take care of us (His children) is ridiculous; and such needless worry is cruel to one's own self.2. Any father would feed his children before he would feed his birds; thus, worry isdistrust in God's fatherhood, love, wisdom and power.C. Prohibited read verses1. The same Lord that teaches faith Repentance Baptism for salvation, is the same Lord who says, Do Not Worry.2. Some things are hard to keep from worrying about, but then so is it difficult to quit other things that are sinful.D. USELESS v. 27 which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 1. One can put on the highest
Click here to load reader