+ All Categories
Home > Documents > PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POSTGRADUATE FACILITIES

PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POSTGRADUATE FACILITIES

Date post: 31-Dec-2016
Category:
Upload: vudieu
View: 212 times
Download: 0 times
Share this document with a friend
3
443 clinical instruction in the wards and in the out-patient department. Two fortnightly courses held during year in cooperation with the Fellowship of Medicine. ST. PETER’S HOSPITAL FOR STONE AND OTHER URINARY DISEASES, Henrietta-street, Covent Garden. Established 1860. 30 beds for men and 2 beds for women and children. The X ray department is diagnostic only. Loan of radium salts for research work by British Empire Cancer Campaign 1925. Medical practitioners and students are invited to the clinical instructions which are given in the wards and out-patient department daily, excepting that the only out-patient clinic open to medical women is that held at 2 P.M. Fridays for women and children, and to the operations in the theatre on Mondays at 2.30 P.M., and Wednesdays and Fridays at 2 P.M. Post-graduate Courses of Lectures are arranged through the Fellowship of Medicine from time to time. ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL FOR GENITO-URINARY DISEASES.-The in-patient department, 30 beds, is at Finchley-road, and the terms of admission are free or by payment according to means. The out- patient department in the Vauxhall Bridge-road provides clinical instruction through the Fellowship of Medicine. ORTHOPÆDICS. ROYAL NATIONAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL, Great Portland-street, W. (200 beds.)-This institution is a good example of the fusion of small and scattered activities for the creation of an effective whole. The three orthopaedic hospitals of the metropolis were combined for the formation of this central institution at the instance of the King’s Hospital Fund, with the result that the grants from this Fund and the income from subscriptions can now be used to far better purpose and with economy. The hospital has also been approved by the Ministry of Health for the treatment of tuberculosis, the connexion between orthopaedics and the therapeutics required in many forms of tuberculosis having become obvious. Country branch at Brockley Hill, Stanmore. EAR, NOSE, AND THROAT. CENTRAL LONDON THROAT, NOSE, AND EAR HOSPITAL, Gray’s Inn-road, W.C.-The hospital is open daily to all qualified medical practitioners on presentation of their visiting cards. Demonstrations of the cases and clinical instruction are given daily by the chief surgeon of each clinic. Lectures each Friday at 4 P.M. An intensive Course of Lectures with Operative Surgery Class is given twice yearly- in May and October. Consultations on interesting cases take place on the fourth Wednesday in each month at 4 P.M. Clinical Assistants are appointed and are expected to hold office for at least three months. They are required to attend twice weekly at 1.30 o’clock for the afternoon, and at 4.30 o’clock for the evening clinics. - HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE THROAT, Golden- square, W. (with which is amalgamated the London Throat Hospital. Great Portland-street).-Clinical instruction in the diagnosis and treatment of disease is given daily in the out-patient department from 2 to 5 P.M., and on Tuesdays and Fridays from 6.30 to 9 P.M. There is an annual out-patient attendance of over 60,000. Minor operations are performed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 9.30 A.M. The hospital has been partially closed for some time owing to rebuilding operations, but new wards and in-patient operating theatres have been opened recently, and the hospital now contains 80 beds. Practitioners and medical students are admitted to the practice of the hospital, and from amongst the students junior clinical assistants are appointed periodically. METROPOLITAN EAR, NOSE, AND THROAT Hos- PITAL.-The hospital is in Fitzroy-square, W. The Out-patient Department is opened daily (Satur- days excepted) at 2.30 P.,11:. to all medical practitioners and senior students for acquiring clinical instruction and technical knowledge. Operations upon in-patienta- are performed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 A.M. Clinical Assistants are appointed as vacancies occur, and have responsible duties. SKIN. LONDON SCHOOL OF DERMATOLOGY, ST. JOHN’S HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN, 49, Leicester- square, W.C.-In-patient Department (34 beds) at 262, Uxbridge-road, W. Out-patient Clinics are held daily at 2 and 6 P.M. (Saturdays 2 P.M. only), when demonstrations are given on the cases presenting themselves. The Chesterfield Lectures, constituting a systematic course in dermatology, are given on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5 P.M., from October to March, by the hon. medical staff of St. John’s Hospital and the physicians in charge of the Dermato- logical Departments of the London Teaching Hospitals. The lectures are free to those attending the practice of the hospital and to registered medical students. At the end of the course an examination is held for the Chesterfield Medal in Dermatology, and is open to those who have attended three-quarters of the lectures. The Electrical Department is open daily from 2 to 4 P.M., except on Thursdays and Saturdays. Laboratory Courses in the Pathology and Bacterio- logy of the Skin can be arranged. THE LONDON SKIN HOSPITAL (Fitzroy-square), and the HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN (Blackfriars-road), admit students to their practice, which is practically among out-patients. PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POST- GRADUATE FACILITIES. Nearly every hospital of a general character in the country having more than 150 beds falls within this category, and certain of them have already been noticed in connexion with the universities to which their clinical practice is attached. . The following alphabetical list includes the provincial hospitals which are recognised by the English Conjoint Board for a part of the required training in medical and surgical practice through clerkships and dresserships. BATH ROYAL UNITED HOSPITAL, Bath.-This hospital contains 212 beds, 72 of which are situated in Combe Park, Bath, and are for paying patients only, and possesses X Ray, Massage, Bacteriological Depart- ments, a Pathological Laboratory, and a fin& library. Secretary : Mr. J. M. Sheppard. V.D. Clinics are held on Tuesdays (for women), and on Fridays and Saturdays (for men), from 5 to 6.30 P.M., and Ear, Throat, and Nose Clinics on Thursdays, at 4 P.M. BEDFORD COUNTY HOSPITAL, Bedford.-This hos- pital has 111 beds, including 15 beds in the paying wards, X Ray and Pathological Departments. There is in connexion with the institution a convalescent home (20 beds) at Aspley Heath, nr. Woburn Sands. The hospital is approved by the University of London for the purposes of the M.D. and M.S.. Examinations. Secretary : Mr. Beau champ Wadmore. BRADFORD ROYAL INFIRMARY, Bradford. - This hospital contains 215 beds. The material passing through the surgical wards consists of major opera- tions, chiefly abdominal, and gynaecological work, and affords excellent facilities for either students or post-graduates. There are special clinics for Ortho- paedic cases. Plans for a new hospital of 360 beds have been adopted, and building operations will be commenced as soon as funds will allow. COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE HOSPITAL, Coventry (established 1840).-This hospital contains 243 beds. Special clinics are held for diseases of the Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat ; Gryna3cology; X Ray and Electrical Treatment; also V.D. Clinics. A Patho- logical Department has recently been started. Clinical students are received, and there are paying wards.
Transcript
Page 1: PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POSTGRADUATE FACILITIES

443

clinical instruction in the wards and in the out-patientdepartment. Two fortnightly courses held duringyear in cooperation with the Fellowship of Medicine.

ST. PETER’S HOSPITAL FOR STONE AND OTHERURINARY DISEASES, Henrietta-street, Covent Garden.Established 1860. 30 beds for men and 2 beds forwomen and children. The X ray department isdiagnostic only. Loan of radium salts for researchwork by British Empire Cancer Campaign 1925.Medical practitioners and students are invited tothe clinical instructions which are given in the wardsand out-patient department daily, excepting that theonly out-patient clinic open to medical women isthat held at 2 P.M. Fridays for women and children,and to the operations in the theatre on Mondays at2.30 P.M., and Wednesdays and Fridays at 2 P.M.

Post-graduate Courses of Lectures are arranged throughthe Fellowship of Medicine from time to time.

ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL FOR GENITO-URINARYDISEASES.-The in-patient department, 30 beds, isat Finchley-road, and the terms of admission are

free or by payment according to means. The out-patient department in the Vauxhall Bridge-roadprovides clinical instruction through the Fellowshipof Medicine.

ORTHOPÆDICS.

ROYAL NATIONAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL, GreatPortland-street, W. (200 beds.)-This institutionis a good example of the fusion of small and scatteredactivities for the creation of an effective whole.The three orthopaedic hospitals of the metropoliswere combined for the formation of this centralinstitution at the instance of the King’s HospitalFund, with the result that the grants from thisFund and the income from subscriptions can nowbe used to far better purpose and with economy.The hospital has also been approved by the Ministryof Health for the treatment of tuberculosis, theconnexion between orthopaedics and the therapeuticsrequired in many forms of tuberculosis having becomeobvious. Country branch at Brockley Hill, Stanmore.

EAR, NOSE, AND THROAT.CENTRAL LONDON THROAT, NOSE, AND EAR

HOSPITAL, Gray’s Inn-road, W.C.-The hospital isopen daily to all qualified medical practitioners onpresentation of their visiting cards. Demonstrationsof the cases and clinical instruction are given dailyby the chief surgeon of each clinic. Lectures eachFriday at 4 P.M. An intensive Course of Lectureswith Operative Surgery Class is given twice yearly-in May and October. Consultations on interestingcases take place on the fourth Wednesday in eachmonth at 4 P.M. Clinical Assistants are appointedand are expected to hold office for at least threemonths. They are required to attend twice weeklyat 1.30 o’clock for the afternoon, and at 4.30 o’clockfor the evening clinics.

-

HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE THROAT, Golden-square, W. (with which is amalgamated the LondonThroat Hospital. Great Portland-street).-Clinicalinstruction in the diagnosis and treatment of diseaseis given daily in the out-patient department from 2 to5 P.M., and on Tuesdays and Fridays from 6.30 to9 P.M. There is an annual out-patient attendance ofover 60,000. Minor operations are performed onTuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 9.30 A.M.The hospital has been partially closed for some timeowing to rebuilding operations, but new wards andin-patient operating theatres have been openedrecently, and the hospital now contains 80 beds.Practitioners and medical students are admitted to thepractice of the hospital, and from amongst the studentsjunior clinical assistants are appointed periodically.METROPOLITAN EAR, NOSE, AND THROAT Hos-

PITAL.-The hospital is in Fitzroy-square, W.The Out-patient Department is opened daily (Satur-days excepted) at 2.30 P.,11:. to all medical practitionersand senior students for acquiring clinical instruction

and technical knowledge. Operations upon in-patienta-are performed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, andThursdays at 10 A.M. Clinical Assistants are appointedas vacancies occur, and have responsible duties.

SKIN.

LONDON SCHOOL OF DERMATOLOGY, ST. JOHN’SHOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN, 49, Leicester-square, W.C.-In-patient Department (34 beds)at 262, Uxbridge-road, W. Out-patient Clinicsare held daily at 2 and 6 P.M. (Saturdays 2 P.M. only),when demonstrations are given on the cases presentingthemselves. The Chesterfield Lectures, constitutinga systematic course in dermatology, are given onTuesdays and Thursdays at 5 P.M., from October toMarch, by the hon. medical staff of St. John’sHospital and the physicians in charge of the Dermato-logical Departments of the London TeachingHospitals. The lectures are free to those attendingthe practice of the hospital and to registeredmedical students. At the end of the course an

examination is held for the Chesterfield Medal inDermatology, and is open to those who haveattended three-quarters of the lectures. TheElectrical Department is open daily from 2 to4 P.M., except on Thursdays and Saturdays.Laboratory Courses in the Pathology and Bacterio-logy of the Skin can be arranged.THE LONDON SKIN HOSPITAL (Fitzroy-square),

and the HOSPITAL FOR DISEASES OF THE SKIN(Blackfriars-road), admit students to their practice,which is practically among out-patients.

PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POST-GRADUATE FACILITIES.

Nearly every hospital of a general character inthe country having more than 150 beds falls withinthis category, and certain of them have already beennoticed in connexion with the universities to whichtheir clinical practice is attached.

. The following alphabetical list includes theprovincial hospitals which are recognised by theEnglish Conjoint Board for a part of the requiredtraining in medical and surgical practice throughclerkships and dresserships.BATH ROYAL UNITED HOSPITAL, Bath.-This

hospital contains 212 beds, 72 of which are situated inCombe Park, Bath, and are for paying patients only,and possesses X Ray, Massage, Bacteriological Depart-ments, a Pathological Laboratory, and a fin&library. Secretary : Mr. J. M. Sheppard. V.D. Clinicsare held on Tuesdays (for women), and on Fridaysand Saturdays (for men), from 5 to 6.30 P.M., andEar, Throat, and Nose Clinics on Thursdays, at 4 P.M.

BEDFORD COUNTY HOSPITAL, Bedford.-This hos-pital has 111 beds, including 15 beds in the payingwards, X Ray and Pathological Departments. Thereis in connexion with the institution a convalescenthome (20 beds) at Aspley Heath, nr. Woburn Sands.The hospital is approved by the University ofLondon for the purposes of the M.D. and M.S..Examinations. Secretary : Mr. Beau champ Wadmore.

BRADFORD ROYAL INFIRMARY, Bradford. - Thishospital contains 215 beds. The material passingthrough the surgical wards consists of major opera-tions, chiefly abdominal, and gynaecological work,and affords excellent facilities for either students orpost-graduates. There are special clinics for Ortho-paedic cases. Plans for a new hospital of 360 bedshave been adopted, and building operations willbe commenced as soon as funds will allow.

COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE HOSPITAL, Coventry(established 1840).-This hospital contains 243 beds.Special clinics are held for diseases of the Eyes,Ears, Nose, and Throat ; Gryna3cology; X Ray andElectrical Treatment; also V.D. Clinics. A Patho-logical Department has recently been started. Clinicalstudents are received, and there are paying wards.

Page 2: PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POSTGRADUATE FACILITIES

444

DERBYSHIRE ROYAL INFIRMARY, Derby.-Thishospital contains 330 beds. It was founded in 1810,and was entirely rebuilt and enlarged 1892-1915 onthe most modern lines at a cost of over 144,000.There is a separate ophthalmic block of 33 beds, aseparate children’s block of 34 beds, and a specialdepartment for gynaecological cases. There are

four resident house surgeons, a resident house

physician, and an assistant house surgeon and

casualty officer. There are also well-equipped ortho-paedic, X ray, electrical, and venereal diseasesdepartments. Registered medical students are

admitted to witness the medical and surgical practiceon payment of such fees as may be determined.

GLOUCESTERSHIRE ROYAL INFIRMARY AND EYEINSTITUTION, Gloucester.-This hospital, which wasgranted the title of

" Royal " on the occasion of KingEdward VII.’s visit to Gloucester in the year 1909,has 140 beds. Secretary : F. J. Symons. An electricaland massage department has been established andvenereal clinic opened. Also ear, nose, and throatdepartment, X ray department, dental department,and pathological laboratory.HULL ROYAL INFIRMARY, Hull.-This hospital

contains 267 beds, and since its establishment in1782 until the erection of the circular wards in1907 has undergone steady additions and improve-ments, including up-to-date Ophthalmic, Radiological,Nose, Throat and Ear, Dental, V.D., VioletRays and Pathological Departments. A branchconvalescent home at Withernsea, with accommoda-tion for 30 patients, is a special feature of the charity.KENT AND CANTERBURY GENERAL HOSPITAL,

Canterbury.-The hospital contains 116 beds. Pupilsof the staff are admitted to the practice of the hospital.Operations four days of the week. There is an Oph-thalmic Department with two wards for in-patients,a Venereal Clinic, an Orthopaedic Department, &c.Secretary, Mr. F. P. Carroll.

LEICESTER ROYAL INFIRMARY. Leicester.-At the General Infirmary there are 333 beds, and atthe Children’s Hospital in connexion 70 ; venerealdiseases, 17 ; total 420 beds. A reconstructionscheme has been carried out, and £250,000 spenton bringing the accommodation of the institutionto a modern standard of efficiency. This schemehas included the provision of two modern operatingtheatres, two new wings, and self-contained out-

patients’ department. The Children’s Hospital hasbeen reconstructed and enlarged by the addition ofa third ward at a cost of £14.500. Open-air balconieson all three floors are a feature. A central sterilisingdepartment has been provided. Pathological Labora-tories and post-mortem rooms were rebuilt at a

cost of £11,000, also an orthopsedic out-patientdepartment at a cost of £9500, £5000 of which wasprovided by the Freemasons of the province as

their war memorial. The Nurses’ Home has recentlyundergone enlargement by 60 bedrooms, and nowprovides for 160 nurses and staff. The 150thanniversary of the Institution has recently passedand a sum of £100,000 was raised in commemoration.Funds are being raised for the foundation of a

City University, and a splendid site was presentedby the late Mr. T. Fielding Johnson, J.P., an

ex-chairman of the Royal Infirmary. There are

ten resident salaried medical officers at the Infirmary-viz., four house surgeons, two house physicians,two anaesthetists, and two dressers. Most of theposts are filled halt-yearly and afford exceptionalopportunities for post-graduate experience and seniorstudents. Dressers are given an honorarium.A post-graduate course of lectures is arrangedannually by the Leicester Medical Associationand also clinical classes are held for graduates pre-paring for M.D. and M.R.C.P. New accommodationfor resident medical officers has been erected.A private hospital has been presented to the City

by Mr. Thomas Fielding Johnson, J.P., Treasurer,Royal Infirmary, son of the donor of the University

site. This gift comprises three large dwelling houseson an admirable site, which have been reconstructedand re-equipped as a private hospital for the receptionof paying patients.NORFOLK AND NORWICH HOSPITAL, Norwich.-This

hospital has at present 325 beds. There is a convales-cent home at Cromer. Students are admitted to thepractice of the hospital for a fee of £5 5s. for sixmonths. Secretary: Mr. Frank Inch.

NORTIIAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL, Northampton.Two new winj2s were opened in 1904 and the oldbuildings entirely renovated and rearranged. In1926 a new Isolation block of 20 beds was opened.The number of beds is 221. Non-resident pupilsreceive and haBe every opportunity of acquiring apractical knowledge of their profession. The fee is£10 10s. Pupils can be received at any time. Thereis an up-to-date Pathological Laboratory; alsoX Ray and Therapeutic Department and V. D. Clinic.NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE ROYAL INFIRMARY, Harts-

Lill, Stoke-on-Trent.-The New Infirmary, openedin 1869, is built on the pavilion plan, has accommoda-tion for about 304 patients, including Children’swards, a Bacteriological and Pathological department,and a department for the treatment of Diseases ofthe Eye, X Ray and Electrical department (includingUltra-Violet Ray Lamps) ; a department for thetreatment of Diseases of the Ear, Nose, andThroat, an Orthopaedic department, and VenerealDiseases clinics ; so that there are excellent facilitiesfor acquiring a practical knowledge of the profession.During the last six years the sum of £35,000 has beenspent on new buildings and alterations. A newOut-patient department, costing 12,000, a new

Children’s ward of 30 beds, a new Pathologicaldepartment, and a second large Operation Theatreare amongst the structural improvements alreadycompleted. The whole institution is now equippedin a thoroughly up-to-date manner. An Electro-cardiograph has been recently installed. Secretaryand House Governor : Mr. W. Stevenson.

NOTTINGHAM GENERAL HOSPITAL.-There are atthis hospital 317 beds available for medical andsurgical patients, and 45 beds are in the detachedbranch known as " The Cedars " ConvalescentHospital, Woodthorpe. The Medical and SurgicalStaffs consist of 2 Honorary Consulting Physicians,2 Honorary Consulting Surgeons, 1 Honorary Con-sulting Physician in Venereal Diseases, 3 HonoraryPhysicians, 4 Honorary Surgeons, 2 HonoraryAssistant Physicians, 2 Honorary Assistant Surgeons,2 Honorary Aural Surgeons, 1 Honorary Dermatolo-gist, 2 Honorary Ansesthetists, 1 Honorary SurgeonDentist, 1 Honorary Medical Officer in Charge ofX Ray and Electro-therapeutic department, and1 Pathologist. The Resident Medical Staff consists of2 House Physicians, 4 House Surgeons, 1 Aural HouseSurgeon, and 1 Casualty Officer. The special depart-ments are the Ear, Nose and Throat, Skin, Dental,Massage and Exercise, X ray, Orthopaedic, Electro-therapeutic. House Governor and Secretary: Mr.P. M. MacColl.

ROYAL BERKSHIRE HOSPITAL, Reading.-This hos-pital, which contains 220 beds, was enlarged in 1912,and includes an Out-patient Department, a CasualtyDepartment, an X Ray Department, Electro-thera-peutic and Massage Department, an OrthopaedicDepartment, a V.D. Clinic, a Laboratory, an EyeTheatre, Eye Wards, and Motor and Horse ambu-lances. The hospital is approved by the GeneralNursing Council as a Training School for Nurses,Post-Graduate Lectures are given.ROYAL DEVON AND EXETER HOSPITAL, Exeter.-

The hospital contains 225 beds (including speciaichildren’s wards) and has a good library, museum-post-mortem room, and pathological laboratory.Attendance on the practice of this hospital qualifiesfor all the examining boards. There is also a

Private Nursing Staff attached to the hospital. For

Page 3: PROVINCIAL CENTRES AFFORDING POSTGRADUATE FACILITIES

445

particulars as to fees, &c., apply to the Matron. Anew wing was added in 1897 and the " Victory "wing for the treatment of discharged disabled soldiersand sailors completed and opened in 1922. Arrange-ments may be made by which gentlemen in

practice desiring to increase their qualifications mayhave the use of the museum and library and otherfacilities and by which students may attend mid-wifery. Anew Operating Theatre was opened in 1906(the gift of Mrs. Nosworthy of Dawlish, Devon).The Electrical Treatment Department (the gift ofMrs. M. A. Sanders) was opened in 1907 by LadyDuckworth-King. This department is now enlargedto meet the ever-increasing work, and now formsone of the most important sections of the hospital.A department was opened in 1917 for the treatmentof genito-urinary diseases ; there are three sessionsper week, two for men at 3 P.M. and 7 P.M., and onefor women at 3 P.M.ROYAL HANTS COUNTY HOSPITAL, Winchester.-

This hospital has 158 civilian beds. Secretary : Mr.Herbert Maslen.ROYAL HOSPITAL, Portsmouth.-The number of

beds is 180. There are X Ray and MassageDepartments.ROYAL SALOP INFIRMARY, Shrewsbury.-This hos-

pital has 130 beds. In-patients, 1572 ; out-patients,1992 ; out-patients’ attendances, 16,978 ; accidentsand casualties, 2496 ; dental cases, 344. Secretary :Mr. Alfred Sugden. A New Wing for the receptionof Women and Children, capable of ultimatelyaccommodating some 40 patients, is now being erected.ROYAL SOUTH HANTS AND SOUTHAMPTON HOSPITAL,

Southampton.-This hospital contains 130 beds, withevery facility for clinical instruction.ROYAL SUSSEX COUNTY HOSPITAL, Brighton (225

beds).—This hospital affords ample facilities forstudents, possessing a large out-patient department,including Ophthalmic, Dental, Dermatological, Gynee-cological, X Ray, and Orthopaedic sections, and a well-appointed clinical research and bacteriological depart-ment. The hospital does not take resident pupils,but out-pupils may attend the practice of thehospital for any period not exceeding two years,on payment in advance of a fee, not exceeding20 guineas, as the Board of Management shall direct.

SALISBURY GENERAL INFIRMARY, Salisbury.-Thishospital contains 142 beds. Maternity and antenataland ophthalmic wards ; maternity and child welfareclinic.

SOUTH DEVON AND EAST CORNWALL HOSPITAL,Plymouth.-This hospital has 198 beds (including14 for venereal diseases in a separate building).Special departments include Pathological, X Ray,Deep-Therapy, Cardiographic, Ultra-Violet Rays,Electro-Therapeutic, and Orthopaedic ; also medicaland surgical out-patients. Pensioners are receivedas in-patients, and are also treated as out-patients.STAFFORDSHIRE GENERAL INFIRMARY, Stafford

(established 1766).-This hospital has 87 beds.WEST OF ENGLAND EYE INFIRMARY, Exeter.-

64 beds. Students of the Exeter Hospital can attendthe practice of the Eye Infirmary. A ward is setaside for newly-born babies suffering from infectiouseye diseases. Mothers with babies are accommodated.WOLVERHAMPTON AND STAFFORDSHIRE HOSPITAL,

Wolverhampton (210 beds).-Special departments forChildren, Infectious cases, Gynaecology, Ear, Throat,and Nose Diseases, Electrotherapeutic and X rays,Artificial Sunlight. Venereal Disease, PathologicalLaboratory, Dentistry, and Electro-cardiographicInstallation. There is an excellent library. The resi-dent officers are a resident surgical officer, residentmedical officer, and two house surgeons. Pupils areallowed to witness the whole of the practice of thehospital and to be present at operations and haveevery opportunity of acquiring a practical knowledgeof their profession. A course of Practical Pharmacy

is given by the dispenser. Fees on application.Applications should be made to the Honorary Secre-tary of the Medical Committee.WORCESTER GENERAL INFIRMARY, Worcester.-This

hospital has 132 beds. Pupils are taken by membersof the Honorary Medical and Surgical Staff. NewX Ray and Electrical and Wolfram Arc Light, Ear,Nose and Throat, and Orthopaedic Departments havebeen erected and are now in use. Additionalaccommodation for the Honorary Staff and Out-patients and also an Outdoor Shelter in connexionwith the Children’s Ward have been built as a

memorial to King Edward VII., and fire-escapestaircases erected.

YORK COUNTY HOSPITAL, York.-This hospitalcontains 170 beds. There are balconies for outdoortreatment, two installations of X ray apparatus,electrotherapeutic and massage department, andclinical laboratory. A Venereal Diseases Clinic is held.

The hospitals vary much in size and scope, andobviously offer, for reasons of geography, manyseparate appeals, so that no detailed informationupon any particular points in reference to anyparticular institution would be of service to any largegroup of students. It is unnecessary to point outto the general practitioners in the neighbourhoodthe advantages to be obtained from the post-graduatefacilities offered to them by the hospital in theirmidst, and it is gratifying to know that a far wideruse is being made of these facilities than was formerlythe case.

Medical students completing their curriculum byattendance at authorised courses in these hospitalsmust ascertain, by communication with the Secretary,

information concerning fees and other details.I PHARMACEUTICAL SOCIETY.

SCHOOL OF THE PHARMACEUTICAL SOCIETY OF

GREAT BRITAIN (recognised by the UNIVERSITY OFLONDON).-The Pharmaceutical Society conductsexaminations for registration as (a) Chemist andDruggist and (b) Pharmaceutical Chemist. Forregistration as Chemist and Druggist the candidatemust pass (i) the Preliminary Scientific Examination(subjects Chemistry, Physics, and Botany); and (ii) theChemist and Druggist Qualifying Examination (sub-jects Pharmacognosy, Pharmacy, PharmaceuticalChemistry, and Forensic Pharmacy). Fee for eachexamination, 6 guineas ; for each subsequent exami-nation after failure, 4 and 6 guineas respectively.The advanced or Major Examination (for registrationas Pharmaceutical Chemist) includes Botany, Chem-istry, Physics, Practical Chemistry, and MateriaMedica. Fee, 3 guineas. The last Major Examina-tion will be held in July, 1928. The PharmaceuticalChemist Qualifying Examination (for registration asPharmaceutical Chemist) includes Botany, Chemistry,Pharmacognosy, Pharmacy, and Forensic Pharmacy.Candidates must have passed the Preliminary Scien-tific Examination. Fee, 12 guineas : for each sub-sequent examination after failure, 6 guineas. Coursesof Instruction are given for the Chemist and DruggistQualifying Examination, and (two years’ course) forthe Pharmaceutical Chemist Qualifying Examinationin conjunction with University College.An Intercollegiate, two years’ course for the Final

Examination for the degree of B.Pharm. of theUniversity of London is also given in conjunctionwith University College. Medical students are

admitted to the lectures and laboratory work in anyor all the courses. Certificates of instruction in theSchool are received by the Conjoint Board of theRoyal Colleges and by the University of London.Graduates in Science may carry out the researchwork necessary for the thesis for the Ph.D. of theUniversity of London in the Society’s ResearchLaboratories. Application for admission to the school,or for further information, may be made to theDean, Prof. Greenish, 17, Bloomsbury-square, London.W.C.1.


Recommended