Contents• Introduction• History• Objectives• Features• Hardware• Technology• Accessories• Generation• Internal connections• Programming languages• Kit components• SDK• Advantages• Disadvantages• Future scope• Conclusion
• What is Raspberry pi?– The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card
sized single-board computers.– It was developed in the United Kingdom by
the Raspberry Pi Foundation.– Intent to promote the teaching of basic computer
science in schools and developing countries.
• The Raspberry Pi is the work of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, a charitable organisation.
• UK registered charity (No. 1129409), May 2009.
• It's supported by the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory and tech firm Broadcomm.
• To increase Computer science skills• Access to computers• Computer Science is concerned with much
more than simply being able to use a computer.
• Children should understand how computers work and how to program them.
• Ultra low cost• Low power consumption• Instant start up and easy to maintain • Small in size• Provide a fun environment for experimenting
with programming and electronics
• 10/100 Base-T Ethernet socket• HDMI socket• USB 2.0 socket• RCA video socket• SD card socket• Powered from micro USB socket• 3.5mm audio out jack• Header footprint for camera connection
• The Raspberry Pi has a Broadcom BCM2835 system on a chip (SoC),which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor
• Video Core IV GPU• originally shipped with 256 megabytes of RAM,
later upgraded to 512MB.• It does not include a built-in hard disk , but uses
an SD card for booting and long-term storage.
• Camera – It can produce 1080p, 720p and 640x480p video. The dimensions are 25 mm x 20 mm x 9 mm.
• Gertboard – A Raspberry Pi Foundation sanctioned device, designed for educational purposes.
• Infrared Camera.• HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) expansion
Pi 1Release date : February 2012OS: LinuxCPU: 700 MHz single-core ARM1176JZF-SMemory: 256 MB, 512 MB Storage: SDHC slot ,Micro SDHC slotGraphics :Broadcom Video CorePower: 1.5 w
GenerationsPi 2Release date: February 2015Operating system: LinuxCPU: 900 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7Memory:1 GB RAMStorage: Micro SDHC slotGraphics: Broad core Video Core IVPower: 4.0 W
GenerationsPi 3Release date: 29 February 2016; Operating system: Raspbian, Ubuntu Windows 10 IoT CoreRISC OS, DebianArch Linux ARMCPU: 1200 MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53Memory: 1 GB RAMStorage: Micro SDHC slotGraphics: Broadcom Video Core IV at higher clock frequencies than previous that run at 250 MHzPower: 4.0 W
Upcoming version:Raspberry Pi 2020:
– Exploit process scaling and keep price constant– 8 cores, improved GPU, 8GB main memory– WiFi, camera, matchbox sized case– holographic laser projector, virtual keyboard– FPGA logic on main SoC, high speed links, ….– < $25
• The Raspberry Pi Foundation recommends Python• Any language which will compile for ARMv6 can be
used• Installed by default on the Raspberry Pi:
Kit Components• Essential:
– Raspberry Pi board– Prepared Operating System SD Card– USB keyboard– Display (with HDMI, DVI, or Composite input)– Power Supply
• Highly suggested extras include:– USB mouse– Internet connectivity - LAN cable– Powered USB Hub– Case
Software Development tools• AlgoIDE• BlueJ • Fawlty Language • Greenfoot • Julia• Lazarus – The professional Free Pascal RAD IDE.• Object Pascal• Ninja-IDE • Xojo .• V-Play Game Engine
• Entertainment:– It can make your Old TV in to a smart TV. (You can
play Videos, 3D Games, Music, Browse Internet and much more.
– Raspberry Pi can Act as Full HD 1080p Media Player.
– Its a Mini Computer which just cost Rs.2,350/-
• Entertainment:– You can connect a Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse
and use it as a normal computer.– Its Graphics Capabilities is better than Apple
• Teaching programming concepts• Teaching hardware interfacing• Can be deployed in large numbers in
underdeveloped and developing countries to schools and colleges and to everyone who is interested in computer.
• It can be used in robotics for controlling motors, sensors, etc.
• Raspberry Pi Medical Device Input Shield
• Solar Raspberry Pi Power Pack
• Voice-Activated Coffee Machine• Raspberry Pi Dynamic Bike Headlight
• Iis able to display images or play videos at 1080p high definition resolution
• The product is energy efficient and provides a greener ethical alternative to small businesses
• Environment friendly
• You are not required to purchase any special licenses from the Raspberry Pi Foundation to use their product
• A credit card sized PC• Very low cost ~£25 each
Disadvantages• It does not have a Hard Disk associated with it for permanent
storage• The RAM is a POP package on top of the SoC, so it’s not
removable or swappable.• There is no Real time clock associated with the board.• It does not replace your computer • The Ethernet is only a 10/100 and the processor is not as fast • Unable to do any complex multitasking• Not compatible with other operating systems such as Windows • This product will not be useful for bigger businesses that
already have big servers
• Tablet version• Interesting low-cost screen technologies
emerging• Networks of Raspberries• Powering the Raspberry Pi using a battery.• It is a great solution against the large desktop
Raspberry Pi is an innovative product. The sheer number of users and fan base support the fact that the device can see a great future ahead. The device can surely help anyone who really
wants to lean electronics and computers. It can be effectively used if its processing power is kept in mind. It can work as a personal computer but
cannot replace it.Thank you