Assessment of Rural Alaskan Solid and Wastewater Leachate
Edda Mutter University of Alaska Fairbanks
Water and Environmental Research [email protected]
Microbial & Chemical Constituent Analysis
Inorganic (Metals) and Organic (Phthalates,
Biphenyl, Alkyl phenols, Polycyclic
Soil and Water Sampling in around
Dump and Wastewater sites
Identify the key stressors, which poses the greatest
threats to public health and environment
Picture: EPA Rare Project
Microbial and Chemical Methods
Microbial Indicator Analysis • IDEXX equipment available at
the WERC (i.e., Colilert® for E. coli, and Total Coliform; and Enterolert® for Enterococcus)
Chemical Analysis• Metals: Cation samples were
filtered (0.45 mm), acidified with HNO3 , and analyzed via ICP-MS. Anion samples were analyzed via IC.
• Organic Compounds – method development are in progress for PAH’s, phthalates, biphenyl, alkylphenols, and pharmaceuticals using HPLC-MSMS.
Alkylphenol Ethoxylate (APnEO)
• APnEO biodegraded into short-chain APnEO and alkylphenols, such as nonylphenol ethoxylates, octylphenol, and nonylphenol.
Figure: Renner et al. 1997
Source of NPnEO & NP Commercial and industrial applied
(260 million pounds of NP used in the U.S. 2002)– Laundry detergents– Shampoos– Cosmetics– Household Cleaners– Latex Paints– Pesticides
Preliminary Microbial Results
2.5 2.2 2.3
Mean Total Microbial Load Surface and Subsurface Waters
Fe V Cr Mn Co Ni Cu Zn Al As Se Mo Ag Cd Sb Ba Pb Th U
100.0 Subsurface-WellDowngradient 1-50M DumpDowngradient 50-1000MUpgradient
Preliminary Metal Results
• Completing of method development (extraction and instrumentation) to identify the major organic waste constituent.
• Pharmaceutical trace study to identify microbial pathogens sources in and around the waste sites.
• Funding Agencies: EPA RARE, Alaska EPSCoR, NIWR USGS
• Drs. William Schnabel (UAF), Dave Barnes (UAF), Birgit Hagedorn, John Kennish, Khrys Duddleston (UAA)
• UAA ASET team (Shareen Ali, Rebekah Tee, Candice Ede, and Ben Applegate)
• EPA RARE team (Michelle Davis, Ted Jacobson, Lorraine King, Edna Beebe, Clayton Tackett, and Eric Morris).