Home > Documents > SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

Date post: 23-Jan-2017
Category:
Upload: sresha-banerjee
View: 73 times
Download: 1 times
Share this document with a friend
Save the Date! RHUL MENS & WOMENS SQUASH NEWSLETTER A MESSAGE FROM THE COACH ALUMNI SPORTS DAY: 11 th January 2014 Kingswood Courts Between 24 th and 28 th March DOUBLES TOURNAMENT Either Tuesday or Thursday, Week 3 of CANARY WHARF SQUASH TRIP TERM 1,2013-2014 A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR From the President Another term gone and what a year it has been! 2013 will remain to be a fond year in my memory as it is the year I commenced managing this wonderful club. It’s been a great experience from the start, and I would like to extend my gratitude towards all the students and staff who have supported me in making this term a successful one. We’ve had ups and we’ve had downs but we’ve come out of it smiling, laughing and having a great time. “Over the last term I have seen some big improvements from all the players that I’ve been working with. We’ve been learning the different shots, footwork and shot selection and combining that with tactics and fitness to improve game play. Some players had hardly picked up a squash racket when they joined the club in September but have come to every lesson and some have even played for the team. This term has been a big success and I look forward to working with everyone in later in January.”
Transcript
Page 1: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

Save the Date!

RHUL MENS & WOMENSSQUASHNEWSLETTER

A MESSAGE FROM THE COACH

ALUMNI SPORTS DAY:11th January 2014Kingswood Courts13:00-17:00

CANARY WHARF SQUASH TRIPBetween 24th and 28th March

DOUBLES TOURNAMENT

Either Tuesday or Thursday, Week 3 of

T E R M 1 , 2 0 1 3 - 2 0 1 4

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR

From the PresidentAnother term gone and what a year it has been! 2013 will remain to be a fond year in my memory as it is the year I commenced managing this wonderful club. It’s been a great experience from the start, and I would like to

extend my gratitude towards all the students and staff

who have supported me in making this term a

successful one. We’ve had ups and we’ve had downs but we’ve come out of it

smiling, laughing and having a great time. Let’s have a look back at some of our

main accomplishments and reflect with pride…

- SRESHA BANERJEE

“Over the last term I have seen some big improvements from all the players that I’ve been working with. We’ve been learning the different shots, footwork and shot selection and combining that with tactics and fitness to improve game play. Some players had hardly picked up a squash racket when they joined the club in September but have come to every lesson and some have even played for the team. This term has been a big success and I look forward to working with everyone in later in January.”

- CHARLIE BRUINVELS

Page 2: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

THE LOREM IPSUMS WINTER 2016

Our Committee Says Hi!The Squash Committee of 2013 make

a resolution to make 2014 even bigger and better, with lots of exciting events and socials coming up!JOSHUA KENT - Treasurer

OLLIE O’BOYLE- Vice President

JOE HYMAN - Secretary FLORENCE TAYLOR – Social Sec

KATHRIN B-W –RAG Secretary

Accounts are looking fine and dandy after the first term! There's plenty of room for incoming socials, and I'll be looking to subsidize some killer seats at the Canary Wharf Squash Classic for those who're interested!

Great 1st term - amazing to see all the members getting fully integrated into the club and good to see some great results across all the teams! Hope to have a bigger and better 2nd term! ... Upcoming events to look forward to - potential squash summer tour - more info to come! And the canary wharf

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

Page 3: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

Start of the Season: FRESHER’S FAYRE!

Our first social kicked off with INITIATIONS! With the turnout being

thanks to RHUL’s Kate Smith and ESR’s Paul Fennell & Lucy Ponting.

Squash’s Big Hit programme. Many

THE BIG HIT TOURNAMENTESR’s “Big Hit” encourages

students to pursue Squash at a beginner level. RHUL Squash

Club is proud to have the Big Hit programme run by coach Charlie

Bruinvels.

The season kicked off with a great turnout at Fresher’s Fayre. The Squash club had over 200 interested students of which, around 30 students attended each of our taster and trial sessions! Of these students, the Squash club was proud to select 17 talented boys and 8 talented girls to make 3 boys’ teams and 1 girl’s team. The club was also proud to be sponsored equipment and prizes for our tournaments by RHUL’s be.active programme and England

First Social of the Year

It’s INITIATIONS!

The big hit programme is run by England Squash and Racketball to get people involved with squash in the UK and Royal Holloway was lucky enough to run it for a second year. Last term we had 16 people sign up at Fresher’s Fayre to take part and the majority of these had not played squash before. The players were introduced to squash by learning the basic racket skills and the different shots. Towards the end of the term players had improved and were able to play tactical shots and score their own matches. As a result the big hit was a great way to get beginners involved in squash.

- CHARLIE BRUINVELS

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

Page 4: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

A REVIEW OF THE LEAGUES SO FAR…MENS 1sts BUCS & LUSL

new term and anything can happen! Top scorer crown goes to PHILIP SCOTT our

considerably more challenging, but it’s a term. The LUSL fixtures have been leaving us 4th place at the end of the first Brunel 2nds, leading 15 games to 1, also managed to get a nice 5-0 win against BUCS, with us leading 12 games to 4! We sweet 4-1 victory against Reading 2nds in The season kicked off for the Mens with a

MENS 2nds LUSLThe 2nds have to be the most spirited club, and although it’s been a tough season for them, these boys have fought hard and passionately. 6th place in BUCS for now boys but lots more to look forward to in the new term!

MENS 3rds BUCS

favour. But there are still plenty of games to go, so let’s prepare for battle!

the results haven’t yet been in their have played with heart and soul, although LUSL 2nds but they never lose sight! They Our 3rds have the hardest time playing as

WOMENS 1sts BUCSThe Womens 1st have had a rocky first term, but we still managed to bag a splendid 4-0 victory against the University of Surrey 2nds! We may be down in the league but our spirits are still raised high as we prepare to vanquish our opponents on court next term! Watch this space!

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

Page 5: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

BIG HIT TOURNAMENT! The England Squash and Racketball Association (ESR) sponsored our

first university tournament, the Big Hit Court Challenge. A more detailed review of the evening is featured in the ESR official regional

November newsletter.

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

Page 6: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

END OF TERM AWARDS

The Christmas DinnerThe Squash family concluded the year toasting to good health and good luck for the year ahead at Sopranos restaurant in Englefield Green. The dinner, which was so kindly organized by our social sec, Florence Taylor, was a great way to end the term! The atmosphere was festive and the food was delicious. The club took this oppourtunity to thank and award some our special members who have shown us their commitment and compassion:

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER FEMALE: ALISHA WADIWALLA. This player came into Squash, starting from scratch, but she demonstrated great will and made it into the team. She is consistent at attending practice and is always spreading her positive energy around her.MOST IMPROVED PLAYERMALE: ZAYN JAFFER. This player is the most consistent social player we have! He’s always been around, leading the social sessions, taking responsibility and has been a pleasure to watch his game improve with time. Go Zayn!BEST PLAYER FEMALE: EMILY TANAKA. This award is not just based on ability but also great commitment. This student is a brilliant Squash player, but more importantly a good team member who shows initiative towards helping out the club and going out of her way to carry out her promises. BEST PLAYER MALE: LUKE

player who is not only an active committee member but has also undertaken the role as the captain of the 2nds team. He’s high spirited and the most motivating captain. He’s got a way with words when it comes to encouraging his teammates and puts his whole in his game. MOST INSPIRATIONAL PLAYER: JOSHUA KENT. Finally, this very special award goes to a player who makes a

high level, and being captain is even more challenging that- so we’d like to take this oppourtunity to acknowledge the great job Conrad has been doing as a captain and a team player in leading the team forwards.COMMITTEE AWARD: JOE HYMAN. This is a special award by the President for a

good will and carries out his game with a positive attitude. He is willing to take on responsibility for the club and make a contribution. LEADERSHIP AWARD: CONRAD WILLIAMS. This award is for the captain of RHUL 3rds Team, which is LUSL 2nd Team. Being the third team, and being in this league is not an easy task, due to it’s

impact on the club. This player shows

positive has made a enthusiasm and whose spirit a fresher award goes to GILES. This TOMMY AWARD: FRESHER

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

Page 7: SQUASH NEWSLETTER T1

England Squash & Racketball Award Volunteer of the Month to RHUL Student, Sresha Banerjee (President) in their November

issue.

COMMITTEE CHANGE: We are sad to say goodbye to our social secretary Florence Taylor, as she’s decided to step down from her position due to other work and extracurricular commitments. We’ll miss you in the meetings!

HOWEVER, we are extremely please and excited to welcome Tommy Giles, who has taken on the role, alongside Joe Hyman- the Squash club is thrilled at the prospect of having 2 social secs! It’s going to be a Squashtastic term!

TERM 1 AUTUMN 2013

TOMMY GILES JOE HYMAN

SQUASH NOTICEBOARD

THE HOLE IS FIXED! Thanks to the lovely Ian Stewart and Andy Steadman of the RHUL

Student Activities.

Recommended