Sunshine Skyway Health MonitoringBy: Gregory Deese
Outline• Skyway Background• Existing Monitoring System• Future Monitoring System
– Data Acquisition– Sensor Types
• Structural Health Monitoring Goals
Sunshine Skyway Background• Cable stayed and PT segmental concrete
• Opened in 1987
PresenterPresentation NotesExpected Design Life: 100 years, Vertical Clearance: 175 feet, Total Length: 4.14 miles
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Location
Current Monitoring System
• GPS Receivers• Automatic Total Stations• Weather Stations• Analytical Model
PresenterPresentation NotesDiscuss basis in maintenance manual and evolution of system.
• Current GPS Sensors– Leica RS500
– L1/L2 Signal Reception
– Post-processed accuracy of 1 centimeter in x and y planes
GPS Receiver Locations
PresenterPresentation NotesGive background as to why each of these locations were chosen for GPS receivers.
Future GPS Upgrade
• Upgraded Leica GPRX 1200+ system included in current rehabilitation project
• GLONASS/Galileo/Compass compatible
• New system running by end of 2011
PresenterPresentation NotesCurrent system will be obsolete in several years. New system will accept legacy signals as well as modern L2C and L5 signals as well as other GNSS satellites. The new system will be able to consistently see more satellites and maintain high accuracy more consistently.
Automatic Total Stations
• Leica TCA2003 ATS on Dolphin 101
• One additional ATS to be added
• Accuracy to 1 millimeter
• Redundancy for GPS
PresenterPresentation NotesProfile surveys, settlement detection
ATS Lines of Sight
• Weather Sensors– Wind Speed/Direction– Temperature/Humidity– Barometric Pressure– Internet-connected with
• Datalogger System• Expandable channels• 100 Hz max sampling• Expandable for a
variety of sensors
• Wireless radio capabilities
Weather Station Website
• Tabular and graphical data available• Website updated every 15 minutes
Weather Station Sensor Locations
• GPS/ATS Receivers– Uses wireless technology– Differential base station at north rest area
• Weather Station– Uses cellular modem technology
• ITS Upgrade– Fiber optic hardwired to bridge and dedicated
cabinets with filtered power for GPS/weather station
Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)Purposes and Goals:
• Design verification (with analytical model)• Establish normal movement• Extreme event monitoring• Deterioration/settlement detection
Design Verification– Theoretical estimation of time-dependent stay
forces to compare with empirical test results
– Calibration/verification of GPS readings
PresenterPresentation NotesTalk about cable force estimation from EOR. As well as profile surveys referenced by Maintenance Manual.
• Time-dependent frame analysis model• MIDAS Civil software used• Main model P6S (106) to P6N (117)
PresenterPresentation NotesSegmental Construction staging included.
Wind Analysis Graphical Results
PresenterPresentation NotesExtreme wind load case in analytical model.
Normal Operating Parameters
PresenterPresentation NotesEstablish footprint of movement for bridge.
Extreme Event Monitoring• Hurricane effects• Ship Impact• Other Impacts
PresenterPresentation NotesLife Safety/First Responder events require quick analysis to ensure bridge is safe for personnel. This could not be accomplished with a true finite element model due to time constraints.
• Calibrated analytical model• Additional sensors
– Strain measurements– Stay vibration measurements– Thermal measurements
Sunshine Skyway Health MonitoringOutlineSunshine Skyway BackgroundSunshine Skyway Bridge LocationCurrent Monitoring SystemGPS SystemGPS Receiver LocationsFuture GPS UpgradeAutomatic Total StationsATS Lines of SightWeather StationWeather StationWeather Station WebsiteWeather Station Sensor LocationsData Connection/StorageStructural Health Monitoring (SHM)Design VerificationAnalytical ModelWind Analysis Graphical ResultsNormal Operating ParametersExtreme Event MonitoringFuture GoalsAny Questions?