Top Reads and Trends from the Children's Bookshop, 2011 with permission of Paul Macdonald, creator
1. Paul Macdonald M Ed B Ed The Childrens Bookshop Beecroft Reflections. Ten Trends and Ten Top Reads October 2010
2. 1. The National Curriculum Literature Offers a Core
The Shape of the Australian Curriculum: English , proposed that K-10 curriculum in English be organised around three interrelated strands:
Language : The Language strand involves the development of a coherent, dynamic and evolving body of knowledge about the English language and how it works.
Literature : Students learn to interpret, appreciate, evaluate and create literary texts such as narrative, poetry, prose, plays, film and multimodal texts , in spoken, print and digital/online contexts.
Literacy : Students apply their English skills and knowledge to read, view, speak, listen to, write and create a growing repertoire of texts.
Encountering literary texts and creating their own will engage students
3. Asian and Indigenous
4. 2. E- Books and Multi- Modal Texts/ Multi-Platform Texts
5. Students who get inadequate sleep and spend too much time watching TV or doing activities online do worse in school than their peers who get plenty of sleep and avoid excessive TV/ screen viewing.
6. 3. The Picture Book is Booming!
7. 4. Easy Reads Abound
8. 5. Rude and Funny Books
9. 6. Serious Issues
10. 7. Graphic Novels/ Manga
11. 8. Action Rules
12. and Dystopian Fantasy
13. 9. Twilight Spin-offs
14. 10. A Face-Lift for Non-Fiction
Children who know adults who read for pleasure take it for granted that
reading is a valuable and worthwhile activity
29. Paul Macdonald M Ed B Ed The Childrens Bookshop Beecroft [email_address]
10% Discount for Teachers all Times
15% discount on books
20% discount on Class Sets
Lists for Literature Circles and Class Sets
$7 Postage for all orders- 1 book or 3 Boxes of books.