STAFF PARISH RELATIONS COMMITTEE (“SPRC”) PRESENTATION
SUNDAY, AUGUST 17, 2014
To be a leading church in Cypress that grows God's kingdom, prepares our children and youth for Christ-centered living, and partners with
each person on their spiritual journey.
We at Cypress United Methodist Church believe disciples...Show RADICAL HOSPITALITY.
Are in PASSIONATE WORSHIP.Are committed to being a part of FAITH-FORMING RELATIONSHIPS.
Are committed to being part of RISK-TAKING MISSIONS AND MINISTRY.
Show EXTRAVAGANT GENEROSITY.Are in FERVENT PRAYER.
Our Calling and Our Values
• We cannot fulfill our calling or live out our values without a strong, dedicated, competent staff. Church member volunteers carry a big load, but we need paid staff to take the lead and to provide structure in all areas of ministry.
• We are blessed to have such qualified and devoted individuals serving CUMC.
According to the Book of Discipline, one of the SPRC’s primary responsibilities is to…
Encourage, strengthen, nurture, support, and respect the pastor(s) and staff and and their
What does the SPRC do for our staff?
• Pray – Prayer Partner relationships have been established
• Appreciate – Thanksgiving turkeys, Christmas bonuses• Encourage – Spiritual Retreat, Dollars For Scholars;
acknowledge family events (example: new baby)• Engage – Host staff luncheons to get to know the staff
members and acknowledge all they do for the church body
• Compensate/approve salaries – mindful of market salary comparisons
How many full-time staff members does CUMC have?
10 – not including clergy
How many part-time staff members does CUMC have?
How many clergy do we have?
Two full-time– Jerome Brimmage
– Joel McKinnon(June 2012 clergy)
One part-time- Juana Avila
(August 2010)Robin RodriguezSince Aug. 2006
Jen HansonSince Aug. 2013
Allyson JonesPT Since May 2012
Boni DavidPT Since Nov. 2005
Adult/Sr. Adult/Cong Care
Sarah HolbrookSince Aug. 2007
Tami VosslerSince April 2007
Trisha MorrisonSince July 2013
Johnny KlotzSince June 2010
Jay BrownPT Since Nov. 2013
Matilda CrispenSince Aug. 1994
Betsy YoungPT Since March 2008
Christine MistricPT Since Aug. 2013
Libby AllenPT Since Dec. 2013
Patti LangfordSince June 2006
Erik HensonSince January 2009
Ken SkinnerSince April 2013
Terri WelchPT Since March 2008
Dan YeaneyPT Since July 2005
Christie Atnip ErwinSince January 2007
Director Level Employees
Jen Hanson – Director of Children’s MinistryTami Vossler – Director of Adult MinistriesErik Henson – Director of Worship ArtsSarah Holbrook – Director of ConnectionsChristie Erwin – Director of Youth MinistryTrisha Morrison – Business Administrator
Other Paid StaffMedia Coordinator Worship Coordinator
Nursery Coordinator Children’s Intern
Clergy Administrative Assistant Receptionist
Database Administrator Business Assistant
Facilities Coordinator Chef
Youth Intern (Summer) Comms/Worship Assistant
Sound Coordinator Radical Hospitality Assistant
How many members does CUMC have?
2,196 members Average worship attendance = 600
Pastoral care extends beyond the worship attendees. All members, and even non-
members, need pastoral help in times of need (weddings, funerals, sickness, crisis).
SPRC Budget was reduced significantly in 2014
The staff has been reorganized and some positions were eliminated.
Have had little turnover in the past year.
Able to take care of staff on current budget.
Goal for 2015
To continue the momentum of caring for our clergy and staff in all the ways we can.
How can CUMC leaders support the clergy and staff?
• Encouragement – notes, words of affirmation and appreciation
• Giving – Christmas bonuses, Dollars For Scholars
• Prayer – for individual staff members and their families
• Serve – partner with them in their ministries
James PierceLindsay Palermo
Scott LindDavid CarterGale ParkerKay Hanus
Mike SchatzSteven Gutierrez
May Avalanche 2015bless all of CUMC