2. Social Media in Business
Dr Nadia Amin
Principal Lecturer in Information Management
Westminster Business School
Email: [email protected]
3. Evolution of web technologies
Source: Adapted from Spivack (2007)
4. The Emergence and Rise of Mass Social Media
Source: D.Hinchcliffe, Web 2.0 Blog, web2.wsj2.com cited in Turban et al, 2010]
5. Social Media
..is the online platform and tools that people use to share opinions, experiences, insights, perceptions and various media, including photos, videos, and music with each other
Social network: a special structure composed of individual (or organizations) that is based on how its members are connected through various social familiarities
*[Turban, King and Lang, 2009, Introduction to Electronic Commerce, 2nded]
6. Top 5 Social Media Myths
Employees will waste time
Social media is for kids
We will lose control to thenutters
Social media is a security risk
There is no clear ROI
[source: Matthew Hodgson, September 20, 2009, www.theappgap.com ]
7. 8. http://tjcnyc.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/ultimate-social-media-diagram/
9. Social Media Revolution
[Erik Qualman: Socialnomics]
10. More than 500 million active users
50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
Average user has 130 friends
People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
About 70% of Facebook users are outside the US
There are more than 150 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
11. Ford Explorer Facebook Reveal
12. Amazon starts selling stuff through Facebook
13. Gap Asks Facebook Fans for New Logo Designs
Gap announced new contemporary logo
New logo outrages customers
Negative feedback on Facebook
Parody accounts on Twitter
Is Crowdsourcingan alternative?
14. a micro-blogging social network to share content via short messages
Used by businesses, celebrities and media
A post (tweet) is a 140-character message
You can follow people, and they can follow you too
You can protect tweets (privacy option)
You can createlists and follow others lists
A survey in January 2010 found there to be 75 million Twitter users. Many of these accounts were inactive; 40% had never sent a single tweet. There are around 10 to 15 million "active" Twitter accounts.
15. 16. 17. Reputation Management:BP and Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico
Was BP oil spill the worlds worst PR disaster?
Fake BP Public Relations Twitter Account a Viral Hit
BP Oil Spill Response Parodies Flood YouTube
BP has purchased Google and Yahoo search terms in order to influence consumers views on the oil spill
18. BlendTech Marketing on YouTube
19. YouTube:United Breaks Guitars
20. Other ...
21. Obamas Presidential Campaign
22. Government and Social Media
23. Email is important!
Email is needed and complements social media
What happens when you sign up to network?
What happens when you buy a product online?
What happens when you receive a DM on Twitter?
92% of adult Internet users send or read email more than regularly visit any social network
email marketing outperforms virtually all other media in terms of ROI
24. Remember Google Wave?
25. Creating links between social media and e-mail marketing provides more ways for people to share
26. Mobile phones / Tablets
27. 28. Location-based services:Foursquare teams with Starbucks
29. Social Media ROI[Erik Qualman, Socialnomics]
30. Investment in social media still modest*
*Social media and Online PR Report 2010 by Econsultancy, September 2010
31. 10 ways to measure social media success
5. Search marketing
6. Brand metrics
8. Customer engagement
32. The marriage of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Social Media Optimization (SMO)
33. Tools to Monitor you Social Media Accounts
Electronic Commerce 2010:Global Edition, 6/E, Efraim Turban, Jae K. Lee, David King, Ting Peng Liang.
Mashable Social Media Guide
Click here to load reader