- 1.Physician Loyalty/Alignment Programs forHealthcare Systems and Providers
2. About Perficient Perficient is a leading information technology consulting firm serving clients throughout North America.We help clients implement business-driven technology solutions that integrate business processes, improve worker productivity, increase customer loyalty and create a more agile enterprise to better respond to new business opportunities. 3. Physician Practice Challenges and Alignment in Healthcare 4. Healthcare Provider Landscape
- Strong competition around the delivery of care
- Increased pressure around reimbursements
- Increasing cost of delivery
- Increased regulatory rules and compliance requirements from CMS and the Payor organizations
- Difficulty in aligning with physician practices
- Challenges in creating the right incentive models for behavior changes in the care delivery model
- Creation of an efficient process delivery model across the entire healthcare system
- Ability to differentiate your organization on Brand
- Inability to directly connect and influence the consumers of healthcare services
How do you become a Consumer Driven Healthcare System? 5. Physician Numbers
- By 2025, the Association of American Medical Colleges projects a shortage of 124,000 physicians, 46,000 of them in primary care.
- In some cases, midlevel providers, such as nurse practitioners and physician assistants, are helping to alleviate the burden on overworked primary care doctors.
- The American Medical Association reports that the total number of physicians employed in community hospitals increased 24 percent between 2003 and 2007, while the number of physicians nationally increased only 8 percent.
6. Physician Numbers (Cont.)
- A recent survey by the Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development indicated that health care leaders across the nation believe the percentage of physicians on hospitals' active staffs who are employed will increase from 10 percent today to 25 percent by 2013.
7. Physician Practice Challenges
- 50% of physician practices are small community based that have less than three physicians
- Increased pressure around reimbursements
- Increasing cost of running their practices
- Increased regulatory rules and compliance requirements from CMS and the Payor organizations (i.e. P4P)
- The recently based ARRA Stimulus Bill around adoption of EMRs and the associated behavioral changes
- Challenges in creating the right incentive models
How do you Align and Connect to your Physician Practices? 8. Why Physician Employment is Increasing
- Declining Physician Incomes
- Changing Physician Demographics
- Looming Physician Shortages
- Increasing Acceptance by Hospitals and Physicians
- Physician/Hospital Alignment
9. Why Will Employment Work This Time?
- Contract vs. Purchase Approach
- Productivity Based Management
10. Physician Alignment Matters
- The average annual revenue generated per medical Specialty:
- Cardiology (noninvasive) $2.6M
- Cardiology (invasive) $2.5M
- Hematology/Oncology $1.8M
Source:Meritt, Hawkins & Assoc. andHealthcare Financial Mgt. Assoc.(HFMA) 11. Consumer Trends Nonclinical Factors
- How Consumers Choose Hospitals
Source:The McKinsey Quarterly 12. Consumer Trends Nonclinical Factors Source:The McKinsey QuarterlyWhat Factors Do Consumers Value 13. Physicians in Crisis
- WHAT DOCTORS ARE SEEKING:
- An American Hospital Assn. report found increased requests for jobs as well as money. During the first quarter of 2009, 56% of hospital CEOs said their facility got more physician requests for aid. Of those CEOs:
- 83%reported more physicians wanting increased pay for on-call or other services provided to the hospital.
- 69%reported more physicians seeking hospital employment.
- 56%reported an overall increase in doctors asking for financial aid.
- 31%reported more doctors looking to sell their practices to hospitals.
- 23%reported more doctors seeking to partner on buying equipment.
14. Physician Searches 15. Trend in Physician Ownership 16. Where do we go from here?
- How are you responding to shifts in Consumer behavior?
- Are you at risk of being Commoditized?
- How will you differentiate your organization from the competition?
- Do you want to strengthen you physician loyalty?
- How can you reposition your organization with your target market?
- Are you looking to expand business opportunities?
17. Patient/Physician Experience Maturity Model 18. What Can A Plan Do To Help?
- Target and qualify the right physicians for your organization.
- Drive physician alignment through measured contact and aggressive campaign marketing activities.
- Identify physician admission and procedure trends.
- Understand physician affiliations and relationships.
- Recognize the feedback loop and patient satisfaction efforts of the health system that need to be collected and reported back to the physician practices.
The Physician Relationship 19. Physician Loyalty Programs Matter
- Consumers are driving a change in the way they purchase/access healthcare services.
- Physician partnerships are an important element to a successful consumer-oriented health system.
- Physicians are looking for alignment that helps their patients and practice thrive.
- Health systems that adopt consumerism elements will also drive incremental revenue and associated delivery cost savings.
Let us Help You Be A Growing and Prosperous Health System