From Nesta's event on jobs innovation at the Birmingham Science Museum on 24 October 2013.
1. Accelera'ng Growth in Ci'es
2. Ci'es face an unprecedented jobs challenge
3. Unemployment remains stubbornly high Par$cularly for young people And in specic regions Challenges remain for most groups
4. while public spending has been reduced Projected spending against projected revenue for Local Authori$es* *Funding outlook for councils from 2010/11 to 2019/20: Preliminary modelling, Local Government Associa$on, June 2012
5. We need innova'on
6. A lost decade of Innova'on Steady decline in UK investment falling from approximately 27 per cent in 1999 to 21 per cent in 2009
7. ..new innova'on funding opportuni'es are emerging City Deals Single Local Growth Fund EU 2014-2020 Programme Local Economic Partnerships
8. David Frost Chair of LEP Network
9. Tools to bring innova'on alive
10. Accelerators Systema'c but exible way to support new businesses and entrepreneurs Nesta host one accelerator and have invested in four others
11. Challenge Prizes Challenge prizes oer a reward to whoever can rst, or most eec$vely, meet a dened challenge. They act as an incen$ve for mee$ng a specic challenge, rather than an award for past achievements. Nesta, in associa$on with the Cabinet Oce, oered a prize for the innova$on that can reduce the isola$on and/or increase the mobility of vulnerable older Five nalists received 10,000 each while the idea that demonstrates the most success will be awarded 50,000 Radio Club The AZer Work Club Community Cafe Help for Isolated LGBT People Tools Company for Men
12. Big Data Theres real scope to harness big data to create jobs and tackling unemployment by pooling data sources, mapping clusters and matching skills of job seekers to short term employer needs.
13. Proving Social Innova'ons We need beber data and rigorous evalua$on of what really works and easy access to compare interven$ons.
14. Targeted Interven'ons We have iden$ed many projects and programmes which address par$cular gaps in the labour market. hbp://makethingsdostu.co.uk/
15. Learn more at our workshops a) Accelerator Workshop Vicki Sellick b) Challenge Prizes Workshop Tris Dyson c) Big Data Workshop S$an Westlake